If you can get carrots with the tops still on, you should. They are much sweeter that way. These beauties were part of our CSA pick-up on Friday.
However, don’t store carrots with the tops on; they won’t last as long. But don’t throw the tops out either. Instead, try this — mix them up with some basil, walnuts, Parmesan cheese and olive oil for a delicious pesto. In fact, the pesto goes great on roasted carrots!
here’s what I did…
I started with about a pound of carrots. I gave them a scrub under running water rather than peel them (I didn’t want to lose that gorgeous color.)
Then I coated them with olive oil and roasted them in a 350 degree oven for about 35 – 40 minutes. (Test for doneness with a sharp knife.) This simple method really brings out their sweetness.
Carrot Top Pesto
- 2 cups of carrot tops
- 1 cup fresh basil
- ¼ cup toasted walnuts (put in a dry skillet over low heat for about 5 minutes until you can smell them)
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- about ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
Here’s what you do…
- Put all of the ingredients, except the olive oil, into a food processor or blender
- Pulse until well incorporated
- Turn the blender on and slowly pour in the olive oil until you get to the consistency you want.
Pour over your roasted carrots and enjoy!