If you can get over the heat and humidity that usually accompanies this time of year, you have to admit that it is the best time of year for food. When you get eggplants, peppers, summer squashes, onions and tomatoes all in season at the same time life is good. What do you do with all these gorgeous veggies? Make ratatouille of course. (Swap out the eggplant and squash for a cucumber or two and you have gazpacho, but that’s another post). This is really easy to make, all of the veggies stand out and the splash of vinegar at the end adds a wonderful brightness. You can serve this a main course or next to a piece of grilled fish or chicken.
What you will need
- 1 medium eggplant sliced lengthwise
- 2 zucchini, yellow squash or combination sliced lenthwise
- 2 large bell peppers any color cut in half and remove the seeds
- 1 large red onion or sweet onion cut in thick slices
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1-2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or to taste
- salt to taste
How to make it
Coat the vegetables with olive oil and grill until tender. We did this on a charcoal grill, but a stovetop grill would work as well.
When the veggies are tender roughly chop them and put them together in a bowl.
Add the vinegar and salt to taste and you are done.